Emergency planning links updated June 2020 – please advise if links are not working.
We do not sell or make any commission on the products listed. Prices are an indication only and are likely to change over time.
The apps and equipment are a personal preference.
Products have been tested in adverse conditions
They are robust and fit for purpose.
Trade Me or eBay supply great used items - particularly expensive items like Gore-Tex
Contact us with questions or suggestions
Prices are a rough guide
Prepare your home and family
Escape a fire in your home - virtual reality tool - must see
Make a plan
Household planning PDF
Earthquake sensing cupboard latches - $17.50
Emergency plan for pets
Emergency equipment and supplies for your home
How to earthquake strengthen your home
Check your foundations to quake strengthen your home
CD audio alert sound
Simple walk home bag solution
Top tip - Buy quality second hand or include unused items you already own to keep costs down.
- Small backpack - spray with waterproofing Nikwax
- Decent shoes, socks and jacket
- Power Cap - hat with head torch under $25 from Bunnings
- 2 x 600 ml pump water bottles
- Corporate Airline Travel Kit - $99 contains many of the items listed in my walk home kit below is cheaper than purchasing items individually
- Emergency food - portable long lasting affordable
- Avoid cotton clothing for emergency use. You are very likely to get hypothermia if is gets wet.
- Do not use dynamo crank torch/radio combos. They are unreliable.
- Avoid muesli bars or snack bars. They do not have a long shelf life or have been eaten by the kids.